Orthodontics focuses on the way the teeth and jaws fit together and how all the parts of the smile, face and chewing mechanism work together smoothly.
The reality is that orthodontics done right is so much more than just straight teeth.
Significant health and cosmetic issues can occur when the teeth are crooked and unable to align. Poor alignment can cause all sorts of other problems including headaches, neck aches, jaw joint pain and more.
Dr Righellis and Dr Ikeda, as orthodontic specialists, customize treatments to correct problems that can result in jaw pain, premature wear and tear, tooth decay, and gum disease.
Treatment through braces will gently manipulate teeth into their proper position and alignment.
The Science Behind Moving Teeth
Teeth are anchored and suspended in the jawbone by a group of ligament fibers of protein, called collagen. These flexible fibers allow teeth a slight amount of movement within their sockets.
Orthodontists are able to move the teeth by using deliberate manipulation of force to direct the teeth into a new and correct position.
Light and constant pressure allow the orthodontist to move the teeth into the desired direction.
Small brackets are attached to the crowns of the teeth as arch wires pass through the others. These wires create the controlled force to move the teeth in a deliberate manner and direction so they can carefully regulate the process of moving the teeth through the bone to the desired position.
The Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
The proper alignment of the teeth and jaw are clearly one of the most noticeable benefits of orthodontic treatment, which will also increase confidence and a person’s self-image. Other benefits include:
- Greater ability to keep teeth and gums clean
- Lessens the likelihood of gingivitis and tooth decay
- Enhanced and better functioning bite
- Improved jaw function and movement
- Better breathing (for many) and snore no more (for some)
- Prevents dental injuries
- Encourages better nutrition with proper digestion
- Improved speech
- Fewer headaches
- Better advancement opportunities
- Relieves craniofacial pain issues
- You smile more!
Technology and Orthodontic Treatment
Technology is vital to successful orthodontic treatments. Dr. Righellis and his team use the finest diagnostic tools, technologies, and specialized appliances on the market. In addition, we customize them to fit inside the mouths of each individual patient.
During your consultation with Dr. Righellis, he will examine your mouth to determine to the best course of action to align your teeth.
The team will use a series of fixed and removable orthodontic devices to correct any spacing or bite issues, crowding trouble, and any other conditions you may be experiencing. Treatments can include different appliances such as braces, space maintainers, lip and cheek bumpers, and aligners. A few of the most popular treatment options are:
- Fixed braces. Bonded to the teeth, this type of appliance uses brackets, bands, and wires to move the teeth into their appropriate positions. Once the brackets have been affixed to the teeth surfaces with a specialized dental cement, the wires are attached to the brackets with tiny rubber bands.
- Removable braces and Aligners. A common alternative to fixed braces, removable braces can be taken off in order to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
- Palatal expanders. This appliance fits in the roof of the mouth and broadens the maxillary jaw. A palatal expander can properly fix a wide range of orthodontic conditions, while improving facial appearance and breathing.
- Speedier Orthodontics. More and more patients are using an advanced technology that reduces treatment times by many months. This technology, called AcceleDent is easy to use and helps get faster and often, better results.
It is important to note that recommendations will always vary based on your unique needs. Therefore, treatment timelines will differ in duration.
Contact Righellis Orthodontics Today
If you suffer from orthodontic conditions that are affecting your quality of life, why wait any longer? Reach out to our Oakland, CA office today for a consultation. Your stunning smile is only a phone call away! Contact us online or call us at 510-482-0600.