Why Choose Invisalign®?
Is Invisalign for Me?
Many of our patients who choose Invisalign over traditional braces do so because of the minimal daily interference and maximum convenience they offer.
Invisalign can offer a comfortable, modern approach to transforming your teeth into a beautiful and healthy smile when it is indicated. It’s one of the best clear aligner systems available for patients of all ages.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign offers numerous advantages over traditional orthodontics. For example:
- Because the Invisalign trays are virtually invisible, others will not even notice you are straightening your teeth.
- Invisalign comfortably moves teeth over time without the need for cumbersome metal appliances.
- Invisalign reduces the risk of discoloration due to metal brackets.
- Metal-free treatment means no uncomfortable irritations on the inside of your lips or cheeks.
- Invisalign trays can be removed while eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing. You can even take them out for special occasions when desired.
- In some instances, Invisalign treatment takes less time compared to traditional orthodontics.
- You can achieve a straighter smile discreetly.
- There are no dietary restrictions.
The clear aligners can also function as thin nightguards to protect you from bruxism, or teeth grinding.
Candidates for Invisalign in Oakland, CA
Not everyone is a good candidate for Invisalign.
Dr. Righellis will consult with you after a thorough examination to talk about the severity of your orthodontic issues. You could be eligible for Invisalign treatment if you:
- Suffer from mild or moderate crowding, or spaced teeth.
Dr. Righellis may recommend traditional treatment for patients with more orthodontic needs.
Note: Your regular dentist will need to treat any signs of decay, gingivitis, infection, etc. before we will be able to start the Invisalign treatment.
- Are committed to the process. Invisalign oral appliances are removable but must be worn for at least 22 hours per day for the treatment to work properly.
- Are dedicated to brushing and flossing after every meal and keeping the removable aligners clear as well.
What to Expect with Invisalign
At your first appointment for Invisalign, Dr. Righellis and his team will take impressions of your teeth, photos, and x-rays.
Specialized computer software helps us fabricate the aligners from almost invisible polyurethane BPA-free plastic.
These will be completely removable instead of being connected or bonded to the teeth as metal or clear braces are.
Once your aligner trays are ready, we will schedule you for an appointment at our office. During this visit, Dr. Righellis will fit you for your first set of aligners and make sure they fit as expected.
Each set of these special custom-made clear aligners is worn for approximately two weeks at a time before advancing on to the next set.
You can expect to wear your Invisalign trays for 22 hours per day to ensure a gradual movement of the teeth with firm, gentle pressure.
Removal should only be done to clean your teeth and trays, to eat, and for very special occasions.
At this point, you are responsible for the success of your treatment by keeping the aligners in your mouth for the prescribed amount of time. Failure to adhere to this can hinder your treatment significantly.
Your oral hygiene habits will need to change. We recommend brushing and flossing and rinsing your aligners with a gentle toothbrush, after each meal. There is also a soaking solution that can be used twice per day to disinfect and clean the trays.
Once your Invisalign treatment is complete, we will craft a C.O.R. (clear overlay retainer). This device will be worn every evening while you sleep to keep your teeth from shifting back to their old positions.
Treatment times will vary significantly from patient to patient. However, in most cases, patients can achieve the desired goal in about 12 – 18 months when indicated.
Individuals with bigger issues will require a longer treatment time.
Learn More about Invisalign
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Righellis today to learn more. Invisalign is an excellent choice when investing in your long-term oral health and stunning smile while avoiding metal or ceramic braces and wires.
Serving Oakland, CA and the surrounding areas. Contact us online or call us at 510-482-0600.